Pioneer Medical Center is essentially, the county hospital for Sweet Grass County, Montana: Population 3700. We are in a beautiful valley along the Yellowstone River, between three mountain ranges, just north of Yellowstone National Park. We serve our neighbors (ranchers, skilled trades people and active retirees) and the many tourists who come here on their way to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, or to fish the Yellowstone, hike, bike, hunt or just get away from overcrowded places. Big Timber is a vibrant and welcoming small town, an hour from Bozeman and Billings. Our schools are highly rated, with high community support.
Pioneer Medical Center has an immediate opening for a full-time licensed CLS or MLT Lab Tech to join our hospital & clinics' patient care team.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities:
· Performs highly complex diagnostic procedures on clinical samples.
· Obtains blood samples using appropriate venipuncture and/or capillary puncture techniques and instructs others in the proper collection of samples
· Obtains throat and nasopharyngeal samples.
· Collects samples for urine drug testing. Complies with Department of Transportation guidelines.
· Strictly adheres to testing protocols and other policies for specimen processing and storage, performing test procedures, correlating with interpreting data, and reporting test results for all areas of the clinical laboratory.
· Complies with Quality Control and Proficiency Testing requirements.
· Operates and maintains equipment and instruments according to manufacturer and Pioneer Medical Center established procedures.
· Actively participates in continuing education and in service training programs for licensure.
· Displays professional attributes including but not limited to the need for accuracy in analytical work and reporting, punctuality, professional demeanor and presentation, cooperation with peers, other healthcare workers and the patient.
· Displays sound reasoning and decision-making skills. Is levelheaded and calm in emergencies and under stress.
· Adjusts to workflow variations while maintaining accuracy and efficiency and in meeting turnaround times.
· Understands the Clinical Laboratory Scientist role and can provide technical guidance.
· Participates in the maintenance of a clean and safe environment.
· Actively participates in Performance Improvement.
· Accepts accountability for own actions.
· Must have graduated from an accredited college or university with a baccalaureate or associates degree with at least 36 semester or 54 quarter hours in the physical and biological sciences.
· Must have passed a generalist examination by a national certifying body for clinical laboratory scientist (ASCP, AMT)
· A current license or eligibility for license from the Montana State Board of Clinical Laboratory Practitioners.
· Must be able to work in teams as well as independently and without direct supervision.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Must be professional in appearance, tactful, patient, pleasant, and customer focused.
· Must be able to organize work and meet deadlines.
· Must have sufficient vision to obtain accurate readings and complete client forms accurately, as in reading charts, graphs, instrument scales, monitors/computer screens, digital readings, and printouts, using microscopes, recording results.
· Must have hearing sufficient to respond to emergency and instrumentation signals and sounds.
· Must possess motor and sensory skills and coordination sufficient to handle and adjust instruments with safety and accuracy, to obtain specimens, manipulate tools, instruments, and equipment; to prepare reagent fluids; and to perform emergency techniques.
COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULTY:
Must understand the serious and/or life-threatening consequences that can result from errors related to misidentification of patients and/or specimens.
Primarily a Monday - Friday position, weekends, holidays and share on call responsibilities.
Category I: This job involves regular exposure to, handling, transporting, and testing of blood, body fluids and tissues which are potentially infectious materials.
Look through our website, www.pmcmt.org, the Facebook groups "Big Timber Community" and "Big Timber Buzz” or call our HR Manager at 4O6.932.46O3 for more information about the area and this role.
Sign on bonus applies to full time employment with a 3 year commitment only.
Pioneer Medical Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.'